Thursday, November 19, 2009

Under the Dome by Stephen King


I have to say, when I first picked up my hold on this from the library, I was amazed at how big it was. Not that size matters, but if I had one in each hand, I could do reps to build up my arm muscles. But, I figured I'd give it a try --- and once I started it, I had a really hard time putting it down. Reading this book in bed was a challenge, due to the sheer number of pages and the heft of the book, but that didn't stop me; I stayed up way too late a few nights just because I had to keep reading, to find out what happened next.
I never did make it through Dreamcatcher, so I didn't have high hopes for Under the Dome. However, it was a really good read. It reminded me of what I liked about King's other books, The Stand and Insomnia -- the idea that there is an average town, or what looks like an average town, with people who appear to be okay (although several have nasty, nasty secrets bubbling away underneath), and then something really horrific happens. In this story, all it takes is a dome, but it is a very effective element, and King does a wonderful job developing the story and the characters.

Definitely not a light read, but I would recommend this to readers who don't mind a hefty read. I thought it would take me much longer to get the book, but I wound up just gulping it down!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Please note that I am officially designating this blog an award-free zone. Thank you!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Before the First Snow kit by Lorie Davison