Friday, July 29, 2011

Hoppin' on the weekend....

Hopping will happen...... eventually
Another Friday, means another Book Blogger Hop!  Graciously hosted, as always, by Jenn over at Crazy for Books, the Hop allows all of us book bloggers to meet, discover new blogs, new books, and have fun.   

This week's question is: "Highlight one book you have received this week (for review, from the libary, purchased at the store, etc) that you can't wait to dig into!"     

I just picked up Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand from my library and plan on starting it tonight.    Here's the review, courtesy of Booklist, if you'd like to know more:


A second book by the author of Seabiscuit (2001) would get noticed, even if it weren't the enthralling and often grim story of Louie Zamperini. An Olympic runner during the 1930s, he flew B-24s during WWII. Taken prisoner by the Japanese, he endured a captivity harsh even by Japanese standards and was a physical and mental wreck at the end of the war. He was saved by the influence of Billy Graham, who inspired him to turn his life around, and afterward devoted himself to evangelical speeches and founding boys' camps. Still alive at 93, Zamperini now works with those Japanese individuals and groups who accept responsibility for Japanese mistreatment of POWs and wish to see Japan and the U.S. reconciled. He submitted to 75 interviews with the author as well as contributing a large mass of personal records. Fortunately, the author's skills are as polished as ever, and like its predecessor, this book has an impossible-to-put-down quality that one commonly associates with good thrillers.  



I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else is going to be reading.  Happy Hopping!!





 

8 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I've had my eye on this book for awhile. Hope you enjoy it.

Here's MY BOOK BLOGGER HOP POST

Bittner said...

Found you on the blog hop and can I just say, your blog is gorgeous!!! I love it! I'm now a new follower.

I like your pick also, but I haven't read it or the first one.

Have a great weekend

Jenni Elyse said...

That book sounds interesting. I'm not sure I'd read it, though.

My Hop/Follow Friday Post

Jason C. said...

Huzzah for blogger hop! I'm a new follower now and "Unbroken" does sound like an intriguing read and considering that I really enjoyed the film Seabiscuit, this gives me more incentive to check it out.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Whew! I loved, loved, loved Unbroken. I hope you do, too!

Here's my Book Blogger Hop and Follow Friday for this week:
BBH and FF: Bonjour! Enchanté! ¡Buenos días!
And I hope you will stop in to throw your hat into the ring for my July Giveaway! Win a $25 Amazon gift card!

Allison said...

Wow. That book looks intense! Have a great weekend!

Amanda Welling said...

New follower! That looks like a good read! I might just have to go and pick that one up :)

Amanda Welling
Hippies, Beauty, and Books. Oh My!

TC said...

Hi, just hopping on by. That book sounds like it might be right up my street. Have a great weekend (what's left of it)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Please note that I am officially designating this blog an award-free zone. Thank you!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Before the First Snow kit by Lorie Davison