Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Interview with author Mary Pauline Lowry

Mary Pauline Lowry, the author of The Earthquake Machine -- one of my new favorite books -- was kind enough to not only do a guest post on my blog recently, and send me information about the beautiful new book cover, but she also graciously agreed to do an interview!    And yes, I did take a moment to do a little happy dance of glee when she agreed.


What was your inspiration for The Earthquake Machine?

Growing up I became tired of reading books and watching films about male protagonists who go on adventures while their female love interest waits patiently for them at home. (Think The Alchemist or Legends of the Fall). I vowed to write a book with a brave female protagonist who has her own adventures, travels and sexual awakenings.

What was your favorite part about writing this book?

My favorite part of writing the book was making up “Las Verduras,” a band of female Mexican bandits who pretend to be men so that they will be taken seriously as robbers.

Do you listen to music when you're writing?

The only album I can listen to while writing is The Suburbs by Arcade Fire. So I either listen to that, or don’t listen to anything.

You've traveled to many places --- if money (and timing) were no issue, where would you go to tomorrow?

It seems like the older I get, the more I allow money and timing to interfere with travel plans. If there were no obstacles, I think tomorrow I would go to Chile to write, practice my Spanish, and climb the Andes.

I've never been to Austin --- any favorite, must-see places?

Barton Springs Pool is a must-see place. It’s an acre-sized spring fed natural pool with water that’s 68 degrees year round. I grew up swimming there; and I worked there as a lifeguard in high school and college.

I’d also recommend that visitors go on a walk or run on the Hike and Bike trail around Lady Bird Lake in the center of Austin. It’s always been my favorite place for some outside time in the city.

Thank you very much, Mary!!!!!!

If you'd like more information about The Earthquake Machine, you can read my review --- and you may visit Mary Pauline Lowry's site (where you can learn all about her, and her book).

this is Mary Pauline Lowry --- doesn't she look nice??



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Please note that I am officially designating this blog an award-free zone. Thank you!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Before the First Snow kit by Lorie Davison