Friday, December 4, 2009

The Devil's Alphabet by Daryl Gregory


Ok -- finished this library book this morning. I had been looking forward to reading it, ever since I read Gregory's Pandemonium --- and this was just about how I thought it would be. Interesting, thought-provoking, and a little weird. The concept of a town where there have been huge changes (and I do mean huge) is very cool, but sometimes, I wanted a little more from the characters. Sometimes, I got impatient or annoyed with the main character -- but I was always interested in what was going to happen to him, so I kept on reading. Not sure who I would recommend this to, although I will definitely put it out there as an interesting book. Gregory is an author I'd like to keep an eye on -- he has some fresh ideas, and his books aren't easy to categorize (for example, is this book fantasy? Horror? Just plain odd?), but that's fine with me.

1 comments:

WonderBunny said...

His books are really difficult to categorize. I couldn't decide what genre it was when I put my review up.

It was thought weird. That is just the best decription I can think of. I like Pandemonium and so I was looking forward to this. I will probably read Gregory again but this one was maybe over the top on the weirdness scale for me.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Please note that I am officially designating this blog an award-free zone. Thank you!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Before the First Snow kit by Lorie Davison