Thursday, January 28, 2010

When Autumn Leaves by Amy S. Foster

I had posted about this book on my Teaser Tuesday, but now that I've finished it, I'm sharing a few thoughts.   I'm using a review from Library Journal here, because I think their summary is a good one: "In the tiny town of Avening in the Pacific Northwest, life hums with a peculiar sort of energy. Some call the town enchanted; others call it quirky. But all would agree that it is a special sort of hamlet, populated by some rather intriguing people. Perhaps the most intriguing is the town witch and wise woman. An individual of extraordinary, even magical talents, Autumn Avening is ready to retire-and must find a replacement from among the local denizens. With one year to choose, Autumn begins keeping an ever closer watch on her friends and neighbors, looking for just the right candidate. Through her eyes, we get intimate glimpses of the locals of Avening-strong men and women whose stories are both heartwarming and heartbreaking."


Here's my reaction:   I liked the story, and was reminded very much of Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman, a book with magical women.   Foster's characters are at times a little frustrating, but I liked them (even though I sometimes wished Foster would spend a little more time on a few of them).   I liked Foster's ideas here, as well, and the setting she has created is an appealing one (actually, I don't think I would mind living somewhere  like Avening).   However, I did find that at times, the book seemed a little clunky -- ideas were good, but the writing wasn't as smooth as I would have liked.   But, I liked this book, and would recommend it to readers who enjoyed Practical Magic (either book or the movie).     

1 comments:

Rachel DuBois said...

I read the Kindle sample and, while I was intrigued, it's not quite compelling enough to fork over the £8 ($13) to download it. So...I'll pass. Can you think of a similar book (other than Practical Magic, which is much better) that I could try instead?

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Please note that I am officially designating this blog an award-free zone. Thank you!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Before the First Snow kit by Lorie Davison