Wednesday, March 10, 2010

In the Forest of Forgtting by Theodora Goss

I teased about this on Tuesday, and have now had a chance to read more of this book of stories.   I don't remember where I heard about this book, but something must have piqued my interest ---   and now that I have read through it, I am happy I trusted my instincts that this would be an interesting read.

I'm not sure how to describe this book of stories, but I'll try:  disturbing but beautifully crafted (like ice on trees.  Or gnarled tree roots.   Perhaps really like a stinging jellyfish).   Like really nothing else I have ever read.   I didn't love all the stories, but there are a few that really stood out to me: In the Forest of Forgetting, The Rapid Advance of Sorrow, and Sleeping With Bears.   I've added this to my "want' list just because I can see wanting to read some of the stories again, just because they are so interesting, and odd.   It's kind of like why I find certain kinds of art interesting -- something can be beautiful, and disturbing, all at the same time (I'm thinking Magritte and Dave McKean right now).      Definitely a read if you're looking something completely different.

Where I got this book:  Interlibrary loan (my library doesn't own it, but I'm seriously thinking of adding it to our collection).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Please note that I am officially designating this blog an award-free zone. Thank you!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Before the First Snow kit by Lorie Davison