Thursday, August 19, 2010

Colors and Numbers by Louise Hay

I picked this book to fulfill one of my challenge categories, and because it looked kinda fun!   It's a step-by-step instruction book on how to use colors and numbers to gives you "positive vibrations in daily life."  This usually isn't the kind of thing I go for, but I thought it sounded interesting.  There are a lot of books that focus on numbers, or astrology, etc, but this was the first one I had seen that used colors.  The author states in the beginning that, "All colors are good, and we feel more comfortable with certain colors at certain times."  (p. 4).   Well, since I tend to wear a lot of black (and I like wearing black), I was curious to see what the book had to say.

And then, I got to page 19, which said "In numerology, black is seldom used... Black is the absence of color, and in many years of counseling, I found that people who wore a lot of black, or who wore black all the time, were seldom happy people."  Um.... okay.  The author goes on to say, "Black has a tendency to confine and repress the spirit."    At this point, I actually got a little irritated.  Yes, I wear a lot of black and while I don't consider myself to be a super-happy all the time, constantly smiling person, I'm not an unhappy person.  In fact, I have certain black outfits that when I wear them, I feel more confident, and even a little sexy

But I kept reading.  I found the instructions on how to calculate the personal numbers pretty easy to follow, so I did a quick calculation and started to find out what the book had to say.   First one, the personal year, told me to add my birth month and birth day to the current universal year, which gave me the number 7.  Seven told me that my colors were purple/violet, and my gem was amethyst.  Interestingly, I actually do like purple (although I don't wear it all the time), and I like amethysts a lot.  Seven is also supposed to be a "spiritual year," making it an idea time to learn more about yourself.  Interesting.   Now that I had read about my personal year, I moved on to the next item:  the personal day.  My day revealed colors of "beige/brown/pink" and that day's gem to be a diamond.   I actually don't mind the colors -- I have some outfits that combine earth colors with a little pink.  However, I don't care for diamonds.  At all.  No gold, no diamonds.   When I got engaged to my husband, he didn't propose with  ring because he wanted us to choose together.  The first 4 stores we went to, the majority of what they had were --- diamonds in gold.   As soon as I told a salesperson that I didn't like diamonds, and didn't like gold, it was like they had no idea what to do with me.   We actually did find a beautiful ring, however, that's sterling with a blue topaz, and which I love.

So, I don't know if this book is really something that I would use on a daily basis to guide my clothing choices.  However, it was fun to try it, and see what kind of results I got.  And, I wouldn't have picked it up if I hadn't had the book challenge --- so a little book from the library got some attention!  :)

Where I got this book:  Library!

This book fulfilled one of the categories for my Hogwarts challengeDivination - read any book that has divine in its title, any book about psychics or psychic abilities, tarot reading etc 

2 comments:

Amelia said...

oh wow I've never heard of the Hogwarts challenge but it sounds really cool! It's really neat that you read a book you didn't really know a whole lot about. That's the fun/nervewracking thing about doing challenges!

Jen said...

I sometimes worry that I got in over my head with the challenges I signed up for, but I'm determined to keep going. And yes, this one really has made me read outside my usual books. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Please note that I am officially designating this blog an award-free zone. Thank you!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs using images from the Before the First Snow kit by Lorie Davison